Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Copy the text below to embed this resource

Demolition of Northwestern University's School of Commerce Building (Memorial Hall)
Date
1970-06
Main contributor
Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.)
Summary
Footage of the demolition of the School of Commerce building. The first part is a NBC news report about the demolition and plans for the future. The second part is silent footage of the demolition. Plans for the construction of Nathaniel Leverone Hall are shown. Northwestern president J. Roscoe Miller and others are present at the demolition. Northwestern University announced plans to build Nathaniel Leverone Hall as a new building for the School of Business/Commerce. When the School of Business began planning for its new building, it had occupied Memorial Hall (the “Little Red Schoolhouse”) since 1937. In the late 1960s, Dean John A. Barr decided to gradually discontinue the University’s undergraduate program in business education and transform the School of Business into a graduate school specializing in management education. His plans also included consolidation of the school’s program for full-time students in a new building on the Evanston campus. After the last students in the undergraduate program of the School of Business graduated in June of 1970, Memorial Hall was torn down. Groundbreaking for Leverone Hall took place July 8, 1970.  In 2001, the entire complex of buildings was renamed the Donald P. Jacobs Center in honor of the longtime dean of the Kellogg School of Management, successor to the School of Business.
Contributors
Miller, J. Roscoe (James Roscoe), 1905-1977; McCuen, Charles; WMAQ-TV (Television station : Chicago, Ill.); NBC News
Publisher
WMAQ-TV (Television station : Chicago, Ill.)
Subjects
Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.); Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Commerce; Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). School of Business; Wrecking; College buildings
Location
Evanston, Illinois
Collection
Northwestern University School of Commerce Building Demolition Films
Unit
Northwestern University Archives
Language
English
Terms of Use
["The video recordings on this web site are from material in the collections of the University Archives of Northwestern University Libraries, are provided for use by its students, faculty and staff, and by other researchers visiting this site, for research consultation and scholarly purposes only. Further distribution and/or any commercial use of the video recordings from this site is not permitted. Please contact archives@northwestern.edu with questions. IN COPYRIGHT – EDUCATIONAL USE PERMITTED"]
Related Item
University Archives "Northwestern Architecture" Site